DIABETES & ENDOCRINOLOGY
Manipal Diabetes and Endocrinology department provides general and specific services in the same speciality. We have qualified, accredited consultants in adult and pediatric diabetes and endocrinology. Our outpatient services function throughout the week. We look after Type 1, Type 2 and pregnancy-induced diabetes, thyroid disorders, calcium disorders, osteoporosis and obesity. A major part of pediatric endocrinology is designed to look after growth, puberty and pituitary disorders. Recently we have introduced an integrated diabetic clinic and package to manage diabetic patients on a long-term basis.
Diabetes is one of the major causes of premature illness and deaths across the world. In the absence of timely diagnosis and treatment, problems related to diabetes can increase exponentially. Most people with Diabetes do not have any symptoms and therefore it is often detected only after complications arise. This condition stops the body from using and storing glucose. The causes and treatment of the disease will depend on which type of diabetes one is suffering from. It is important to keep track of blood sugar to determine that the sugar level is well under control. For this, a chemical balance in the body is required for the glands and hormones to function normally. Any dysfunction can lead to life-threatening diseases.
We at Manipal Hospitals are known as the best hospital for diabetes and our team of highly experienced doctors offers the best diabetes treatment.
Who is an Endocrinologist?
An endocrinologist is a specially trained clinician who is qualified to diagnose conditions that affect the glands. They may diagnose and treat hormone imbalances in the endocrine organs, which include the pituitary, thyroid, adrenals, ovaries, testes and pancreas.
CONDITIONS TREATED UNDER DIABETES & ENDOCRINOLOGY
Diabetes is one of the most common types of Endocrinological disease. However, there are also some endocrinological diseases that need as much attention as diabetes. Some of them include:
- Hyperthyroidism: This endocrinological disease occurs when the thyroid gland begins producing an excessive level of hormones. Hyperthyroidism leads to faster metabolism and results in symptoms like sudden weight loss, sweating, irregular heartbeat and irritability.
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS): Affecting women, this hormonal disorder causes overproduction of androgen (male hormones). It also leads to enlarged ovaries with small cysts on the outer edges. The symptoms of PCOS vary from case to case. However, there are some similar ones which include irregular menstrual cycles, excessive facial hair, and male-pattern baldness, subfertility among others.
- Thyroid Cancer: It occurs when there is an uncontrollable production of abnormal cells in the thyroid gland which lead to the formation of a tumour. The abnormal cells also have the potential to spread to other parts of the body and increase their impact. Some of the common symptoms of thyroid cancer include lump or swelling in the neck, pain in neck or ears, wheezing, breathing troubles and coughing.
- Osteoporosis: Osteoporosis is a disease where increased bone weakness increases the risk of a broken bone. It is the most common reason for a broken bone among the elderly. Bones that commonly break include the vertebrae in the spine, the bones of the forearm, and the hip.
- Hypothyroidism: Hypothyroidism, also called underactive thyroid or low thyroid, is a disorder of the endocrine system in which the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone. It can cause a number of symptoms, such as poor ability to tolerate cold, a feeling of tiredness, constipation, depression, and weight gain.
- Pubertal Disorder: A puberty disorder is when the processes and changes don’t occur in the body as they normally should. This may be because of heredity problem, hormonal disorder, genetic disorder, infections, etc.
- Reproductive Endocrinology: Reproductive endocrinology is a branch of medicine that identifies and treats infertility in both men and women.
- Lifestyle Changes: At the initial stage of diseases like diabetes, our doctors suggest adopting several lifestyle changes to control and cure the symptoms which also leads to healthier way of living and curing other diseases too.
- Surgical Treatments: If the endocrinological disease is very serious, the doctors can suggest surgical treatments like bariatric surgery, sleeve gastrectomy, and thyroid surgery. Here, at Manipal Department of Endocrinology & Diabetes, doctors perform state-of-the-art minimally invasive pituitary surgery to ensure faster recovery, no scarring and fewer complications. We at Manipal Hospitals, have the latest medical technology and instruments through which our doctors suggest the most suitable treatment options to the patients to help them lead a healthy and happy life.