Gastrointestinal Sciences has been one of the fastest growing specialities in the last ten years. The impact is in terms of diagnosing and treating complex gastrointestinal problems using advanced technology such as High Definition Endoscopes, Narrow Band Imaging (NBI), Endoscopic Ultrasound, Spy-Glass Technology, Fibro Scan, etc. Aimed as a panacea for all kinds of digestive diseases, Manipal Hospitals has established the expansive Manipal Institute of Liver and Digestive Diseases (MILDD). It is a popular referral centre and conducts treatments and surgeries for all kinds of disorders related to the biliary tract, pancreas, liver and the gastro-intestinal tract. Surgeries and endoscopes for a wide range of problems such as stone removal, abdominal TB among others are successfully conducted here.
About Gastrointestinal Sciences
This Department deals in treating diseases related to Gastroenterology and GI. It has a dedicated team of Gastroenterologist and GI Surgeons who specialize in performing high end procedures. The branch also includes the understanding of gastrointestinal organs, like the functioning of the liver, digestion and absorption, removal of waste and several others. Any gastrointestinal disorder can cause problems in stomach, esophagus, pancreas, gallbladder, liver, small and large intestines.
Who is a Gastroenterologist & GI Surgeon?
A Gastroenterologist is a physician who specializes in gastroenterology and offers all kinds of medical treatments related to the speciality. A GI Surgeon is a specialist in surgical matters carried out on the organs of the digestive system.
Conditions treated under Gastrointestinal Sciences
- Abdominal pain
- Celiac disease
- Chronic liver disease
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Dyspepsia (gas, bloating of abdomen, distension of abdomen)
- Elevated SGOT, SGPT
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography (ERCP)
- Gastro oesophageal reflux disease (acidity, heartburn, vomiting)
- GI Bleeding (haematemesis / melena / fresh blood per rectum)
- Irritable bowel syndrome (chronic diarrhoea, mucus in stools, loose bowel movements/constipation)
- Inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis disease)
- Jaundice (obstructive jaundice, viral hepatitis and biliary stone disease)
- Loss of appetite/weight loss
- Malabsorption syndrome
- Pancreatitis (Acute/Chronic)
- Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG)
- UGI Endoscopy
- Variceal Banding Oesophageal (EVL)
Treatment & Procedures
- Upper GI Endoscopy
- Capsule Endoscopy
- ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography)
- Percutaneous Gastrostomy
- Bariatric Surgery